what is depression?

Saturday 13 June 2009

What is depression? No I'm not having a depressive rant, I'm just asking the question to which I know the answer. I thought I might share my insight with you, so that you can understand those around you who have real deep depression.
Depression can be described in these word pictures.
Depression is like a deep chasm, it's a deep chasm in the dark, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The sides are steep, sheer faces with no hand holds, no foot holds, no way to get out of that.
Depression is like being stuck in a very, very deep well with no aid to get you out, with the walls coming in on you at the same time, threatening to crush you at any moment.When the depression is really deep, it is as though the roof is caving in at the same time as well. No light, no help and it's dark, dismal, and it stinks, while the walls come in and the roof caves in, all at the same time. And no-one hears your call for help, no-one hears your scream of fear, of despair, for help, for comfort or support.
Depression is like running away from a ferocious wild bear that's determined to tear you apart. while the bear is gaining on you, you are seemingly on a treadmill, running on the spot at high speed going nowhere.
Depression is like being stuck in a big pot of glue that is pulling you in deeper and deeper.
Depression is like being in a big obscure labyrinth where the walls keep moving and rearranging themselves all the time. You never know which way to go. We all know that a really good labyrinth can be quite difficult to navigate, let alone one where the walls keep changing.
These are just a few word picture observations that I have concluded over the years. I have put them up so that you, whoever you are, can understand what depression is really like, and that you can help people who have this affliction.
I know that they say we all get depressed some times, but there is the every one depression and there is the real thing. This is to help you see the difference, because the real thing doesn't go away at the end of the day it stays for a very long time even years, and there doesn't seem to be any one around to care for you or even to try to help you. There are ways that you can help.

2 comments:

Dragonstar said...

My husband has suffered depression for many years, and I have a son who suffers severely. I can relate to these pictures.

Amethyst said...

I ope that these pictures helped you to understand how he feels. I have done some more analyzing of myself and worked out ways that others can help and how I can help others to help me.
I just go to remember to bring the book over to my sister's as I don't have my computer at my house at the moment.
I hope you both can help each other.